By Samantha Loo, Village Vancouver volunteer
Over the next few months we will share our favourite recipes that you can make this summer using vegetables and fruits from your garden!
Garlicky Crisp Beans
Beans – whether green, yellow or other colours – are very easy to grow now and harvest throughout the summer. Here’s a recipe for simple, fresh, crisp beans that are best served piping hot on a bed of rice.
1 pound of fresh cut beans of choice (cleaned, de-stringed and cut to size)
2 tablespoons of butter
6 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter on low heat in a wok or frying pan
- Quickly add the garlic to the melted butter and warm it up on medium heat
- Add the beans and ginger to the garlic and melted butter, toss and continue cooking until they are cooked through but are still slightly crisp
- For the final minute, turn the heat up to high and keep tossing for one minute
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve hot
Good luck, and may you have an abundant harvest and enjoy many meals from your garden this season 🙂